Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Vacation 2008 - July 5

We decided to spend our last full day taking a drive to Yosemite. Actually, I decided that was what we were going to do, since I was the only one of the family who had ever been. I knew we were going during the time of year with the biggest crowds, but the tourist side of me said "hey, we're only an hour away, so we gotta do it".


The boys asked why we were going to this place they had never heard of (or should I say, a place they didn't remember hearing about in school). I told them this was one of the first national parks, and that people from all over the world come here to see a truly beautiful place. Yeah, right.... crickets in the car.


Once I told the boys this was the same waterfall and big rock they had seen in "Soarin' Over California", they were stoked about going.


We drove in through Tioga Pass and Tuolumne Meadows. I had never been in this part of the part of the park, and it is beyond beautiful. Now I know why people want to hike in the "backcountry" of the park, I would love to do that sometime. The meadows, lakes, streams, boulders - all absolutely awesome, and words do not do this place justice. Especially my words. I much preferred coming into the park from this entrance than the west entrance from Mariposa.



As we drove down the road toward the valley, we rounded this bend that had a lookout to the left. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Half Dome down below us. This wasn't mentioned on the material I had been reading to this point, quick, turn around!! This was definately not something I had seen before, so while RJ and I took in the sights, the boys clamored around all the rocks. There's a trail from here down to the valley, that would be an awesome trek to make someday. (Yeah, cause we're getting so much younger every day.)

We pulled into the valley floor a little after noon. The boys soon recognized Yosemite Falls and Half Dome from the "Soarin" film. We crammed on to a shuttle bus from the parking lot (not full yet!) over to the lower falls trail. Matt and Jacob wanted to stop and climb on every rock along the way. I had to push them to continue up the hill...

We finally reached the base of the falls and the boys were quite happy to take their shoes off and climb down to the river. Matt and Jacob climbed all the way across - "the water's freezing, mom!" - while Sam and Kevin and I were content to just hang out on the rocks dipping our feet in and out. As you can see, there were LOTS of people. Lots of TOURIST-Y people.

Like us.

At least we didn't have to smile and greet each one of them as we passed them.

Here's to you mom, wish you were here.

On the way back down the trail, we saw some folks standing off the trail being very quiet and standing very still. We caught a glimpse of this deer with her two fawns. The glimpse lasted about 10 minutes, we all were thrilled to see something we never ever see at home.

By the time we got back to the parking lot, there was a traffic jam being directed by rangers on horseback (cool!). We decided to forgo driving with 80,000 of our closest friends through the other half of the valley - who knew how long that would have taken. Got back to Mammoth by dinnertime, making plans to return for a longer visit next time.

No comments: