Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Day of the Doctors

Man, the one day out of the week that I have like, 5 meetings back-to-back at work, and I get a call from school that Jacob and Matt are in the nurse's office. Matt's left eye has been kinda red the last couple days, but like a good veteran mom, I pretend not to notice and only nonchalantly in passing, ask if it hurts. Of course, it doesn't. Jacob tells me on the way out the door this morning that his ear kinda hurts, and did yesterday, too. Since he is a couple years older, he knows my M.O. I told him if it still hurt after school, I would take him to the doctor. Just uttering those words automatically sets the wheels in motion, and my getting THE CALL from the school nurse at 9:30am.

Of course, they are totally stoked about being out of school so early in the day, and they feel totally FINE. Fine enough that they have to blast the surround sound on the speakers so they can hear the movie over my meetings I am now calling in for. "Yeah, I'm home with two kids, don't mind them, they're sick..." Yeah, right. Fortunately, the pediatrician is out of the office for the day, so they call in prescriptions to the pharmacy. I guess there is some kinda frequent appointment perk after 50 visits.

RJ had a doctor appt. scheduled this afternoon with the cardiologist, his monthly checkup. I don't go, as I know they probably don't appreciate a case of pink-eye going around the waiting room. Since the doctor knows that I am the pharmicist of the house, I get a phone call from him asking me what exact medications he is on. Unbeknownst to me, my husband has dutifully put his pills AWAY in some secret man-hiding place, so I sound like an idiot - "ummm....he's on aspirin....and some heart rhythm pill...ummm, it's orange"... while I am trying to quietly run around the house and open drawers here and there looking for them, not successful at all.

When he gets home, I announce that he owes me Sizzler for this one. Kevin has ridden his bike to a friends house, you know mom, "over there". I tell him to be home in 15 minutes, it's now been 35. So we all hop in the car to go for dinner - wait, where's Kevin? - and go cruising around the neighborhood looking for his bike propped up some walkway somewhere. We drive around for a solid 25 minutes MORE before giving up and parking back in the driveway. He immediately rounds the corner....it's been more than 15 minutes? I think Boy Scout time is rubbing off on him. (Side note: He said he had fun in Ensenada this last weekend at the International Camporee. All he told me is that they drug two tables down a hill, and pitched their tents at 1:00am cause they were lost. The tents? Or you guys? Which one!?! After getting that hormonal "mom, you're sooo stupid" sigh and eye-roll, I stopped prodding after that.)

Get home, time to go to the pharmacy. I send RJ out with a list, cause I don't want him to come home without one of them. Aspirin, Lisinopril (the orange ones), my thyroid pills, ear drops and antibiotics for Jacob, and eye drops for Matt. I wrestle Matt on the floor to get these drops in his eye, and while I take him to the bathroom to wash his filthy hands and make sure he doesn't scrub his eyes, I tell Jacob to shake up his antibiotics and I will be right back. Not two minutes later, he comes in to tell me that he spilled it, just a little, while shaking it. I go back in and look, and it's got maybe 3/4 of the bottle GONE - all over the floor. Pharmacy is now closed, and we get to call them in the morning and HOPE we can get a refill on what's left! I hope I don't have to cash in too many more of my frequent visitor points fot this.

Wine cooler is now drained, I'm signing off so I can go to bed. Tomorrow I have scribe duty at the oncologist's.

No comments: